Sydney's bedroom is complete! She opened her quilt Christmas morning and napped under it that afternoon!
Her room was definitely a labor of love. Not only did I sew her quilt, but I painted and distressed her furniture as well. I brought the bed home from my Grandmother's attic- it's a family heirloom that my dad slept on as a kid. If family lore is correct, my ancestors from Germany brought this bed with them when they sailed to America in the 1860s! The miniature roll top desk was also an attic treasure, and had belonged to my aunt in the 1950s. The bedside table is also an antique that I remember from my house growing up. All three pieces were different wood tones and all needed some TLC. They got a good sanding and 2 coats of paint before they were distressed and sealed with a polyurethane top coat. I found the cute bird lamp at Kirkland's.
The dresser was also painted to match the other furniture, but I ran out of energy (and paint) so the bookshelf is from Target! I sewed a slipcover for the chair so it would match the room and added glass knobs to the dresser.
I love how everything turned out, but I hope she realizes she is NEVER, EVER allowed to redecorate her room!
- Name sign above bed: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/11/letter-photo-art-for-christmas.html#comment-28729
- How to recover kid's foam chair: http://www.honeybeevintage.com/2010/10/foam-chair-slipcover.html
Paint color: Behr Hawaiian Shell
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
For Christmas, we treated ourselves to a bedroom upgrade. I ordered new bedding and we painted the walls dark greenish-brown color. There is still so much to do for this room, but this is a step in the right direction. We will eventually furnish the seating area by the windows, but the kids currently enjoy using this space as their dance floor. Maybe my next sewing project will be drapes...
New Paint: Behr Butternut Wood in flat enamel
New Bedding: Pottery Barn Sienna Paisley http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sienna-paisley-duvet-cover-shams/
Friday, December 7, 2012
Sydney's quilt is finally done, and that means her room is one step closer to being finished as well!
The quilt was nearly a year in the making...I ordered the fabric and pattern in January!
The fabric is Urban Cowgirl by Urban Chiks for Moda Fabrics. It's inspired by vintage western shirts, and I thought it would go great with the antique distressed furniture.
The pattern I used was Tumbling Nine Patch by Sweet Jane's Quilting and Design.
I finished this little bird appliqué pillow yesterday. I was inspired to do the birds after buying some pictures to hang in her room. (I can't wait to finish the whole room so I can show off my finds...I'm so happy with how everything is coming together!)