Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sydney's Bedroom

Sydney's bedroom is complete!  She opened her quilt Christmas morning and napped under it that afternoon!

Untitled
Her room was definitely a labor of love.  Not only did I sew her quilt, but I painted and distressed her furniture as well.  I brought the bed home from my Grandmother's attic- it's a family heirloom that my dad slept on as a kid.  If family lore is correct, my ancestors from Germany brought this bed with them when they sailed to America in the 1860s! The miniature roll top desk was also an attic treasure, and had belonged to my aunt in the 1950s.  The bedside table is also an antique that I remember from my house growing up.  All three pieces were different wood tones and all needed some TLC.  They got a good sanding and 2 coats of paint before they were distressed and sealed with a polyurethane top coat.  I found the cute bird lamp at Kirkland's.

Untitled

The dresser was also painted to match the other furniture, but I ran out of energy (and paint) so the bookshelf is from Target!  I sewed a slipcover for the chair so it would match the room and added glass knobs to the dresser.

I love how everything turned out, but I hope she realizes she is NEVER, EVER allowed to redecorate her room!

Pinterest Links:
-  Name sign above bed: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2011/11/letter-photo-art-for-christmas.html#comment-28729
-  How to recover kid's foam chair:  http://www.honeybeevintage.com/2010/10/foam-chair-slipcover.html

Paint color:  Behr Hawaiian Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment