Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sewing Room

It had been a while since I'd painted a room, so I decided to tackle my sewing room.  I discovered this tranquil blue/grey/green color (Zen by Behr) and immediately fell in love.  I usually gravitate toward warmer tones, but there was something so soothing about this color.  I need all the soothing vibes I can get when I sew, too!

Untitled
I bought the furniture soon after we moved in.  The desk and shelving unit are part of the EXPEDIT series from Ikea.  The black bins and chair are from Ikea as well (although I used the Ikea slipcover as a pattern to sew my own to match the window treatments).  I store all my sewing supplies and keep my fabric neatly stashed in the bins.  The small drop leaf table came from Target, and is the perfect size and height to use as a cutting table.

DSC_0752
I love to sew and create things, but I almost always need a reminder to remain calm during a project.

Untitled
Next to the sewing table, is my quilt planning wall.  The flannel fabric stretched over lightweight insulation panels is just nailed into the wall in a few places.  Quilt squares stick easily to the flannel and allow for convenient moving and planning of my quilting projects.

Untitled
I've been wanting to try my hand at sewing window treatments, and decided this was the perfect room to give it a try.  I found the pattern and material at Hobby Lobby, and I'm really happy with the fun pattern and pops of color.

Untitled
And the last addition to the room was this trunk I stole brought home from my Grandmother's farmhouse.  (It also happens to be full of beautiful antique quilts.)  My mom painted it for my grandparent's anniversary gift over 35 years ago.

1 comment: